Sign in to follow this  
dydo

SunPower (SPWR)

Guest chrisceeaustin

You are right that SPWR panels are more expensive per watt. But for reasons of reliability and efficiency, and just overall quality they still sell and lease and are market leaders in USA. Think of it like this. What happens when you want to sell your house in ten years, and you've got solar panels that kinda sorta work. That may actually be a liability -- the new owners may want to take them down. If you have SPWR panels with iron clad warranties, you sell your house with added 8K or more. My estimate.

Guest Klothilde

UUUPPs sorry solarcat, I'm invested in FSLR. Don't know where my mind was.

Guest solarcat

chrisceeaustin, AFAIK everyone has the same warrantee. TSL, YGE, SOL, CSIQ, SPWR, FSLR, etc.. and it may be the same insurer.

chrisceeaustin Please do not post full articles here. Only links and 100 words of text can be quoted max. I am deleting your post

Guest chrisceeaustin

sorry for posting most of that interview with Sunpower's Wegner. I understand I can post up to 100 words of copyrighted mterial. So here is something Wegner said on the Sunpower warranty. This is what I was talking about as "iron clad" and standing out from others. The result is SunPower’s offer of “a 25-year performance warranty and a 25-year product warranty,” Wenger said. “For 25 years, if anything goes wrong with that panel that is a defect of our product of any kind, we will replace it at our cost. The industry standard for that piece is five to ten years.” The warranty also guarantees 9 percent plus more energy over the life of the product than the industry standard, Wenger said, based on a calculated 0.4 percent per year degradation rate

Guest chrisceeaustin

Approval of huge Henrietta plant by PG & E. Completion and apparent successful operation of first major C7 project. These were as expected, according to previous announcements of the company. Not surprising but solid signs that everything is on track. Co still claims C7 provides "one of the lowest" LCOEs on earth. C7 JV mfg plant to ramp in Inner Mongolia later this year. "Multi-gigawatt" projects envisioned according to cc. As for Henrietta, it's massive and one of four projects that will provide quarter of a billion in gross profit each year for 2013 and three years following. That's over 2 dollars in gross profit for each share.

Guest chrisceeaustin

SPWR uses copper to make their panels high efficiency. I wonder if the low price of copper lowers their costs? Not rhetorical. Any thoughts?

Guest cfeng

SunPower officially starts construction of joint 579MW Antelope Valley PV power plants By Mark Osborne - 26 April 2013, 20:48 http://www.pv-tech.org/news/sunpower_officially_starts_construction_of_joint_579mw_antelope_valley_pv_p While Chinese solars are killing each other trying to sell at the lowest price and doing small scale projects that are having hard time selling, U.S. solars are building projects like this .58 GW Antelope Valley.

Guest chrisceeaustin

Growth is strong in Q1 in US as I have read. How much does SPWR, WFR, and FSLR get of growing pie?

Guest cfeng

A lot more than the Chinese solars will ever see, in my opinion. Let the Chinese solars kill each other. It will mean even more big business for SPWR, FSLR, WFR.

SPWR is the only "green" positive return on the US index started on Janaury 2011. 6.2% in over two years. But we went through a small depression in that period. The other thing is that US-listed index is now better than Europe and Global index. 3 % worse tha Taiwan. This is a very positive development. Mind you, US Index is getting its most output from pricing of FSLR. Any company with negative % below index is outperforming it.This includes CSIQ and JKS, SPWR, MEMC, FSLR

Guest ILOVEPV

The so-called correction is still in effect and will be lasted for 1-3 weeks more. It does not matter what CSIQ said today -the stock is trading near zero gain with a big probability to finish in red too. All others besides JKS are deep in red. JKS lost almost 25% for the previous 2.5 days so some small rebound was anticipated. If we do not count GTAT yesterday announcement, today is going to be the first Q1 earning report -SPWR. Looking at SPWR trading pattern for the last week I've got a feeling that big boys took a decision not to let it go down with no respect what is going to be reported and guided. After earnings season is over we will get a clear picture what to expect. Besides EU tariff uncertainty all other development is strictly positive i.e. probably all of the Chi10 (besides SOL) can expect new 52 high within next 3 months. A major reason why SOL won't be among those winners is SOL is my biggest holding. To let it go along with others I have to unload my SOL position and the more I unload the faster and higher SOL will go. SPWR earnings. JMHO: we should not expect something extraordinary BUT profitability will be likely announced.

ILOVEPV...i am surprised to read that you dont think that SPWR or SOL earnings will result in a rally. If either of them shows a profit, i predict a pretty positive reaction.

Guest outsmart

The so-called correction is still in effect and will be lasted for 1-3 weeks more. It does not matter what CSIQ said today -the stock is trading near zero gain with a big probability to finish in red too.

Some people may think, "oh, this new Q1 guidance was the reason for the rally of the past days, time to sell the news" But they miss the huge news that is the Q2 guidance. CSIQ will go right to $10, maybe even to $15 in the next 6-8 weeks.