Sign in to follow this  
dydo

Canadian Solar (CSIQ)

Schroder Investment Management opened a new position in CSIQ in Q1.  2,761,958 shares or 4.762% of the company, the 4th largest shareholder.

36 minutes ago, Klothilde said:

CANADIAN SOLAR SUBSIDIARY RECURRENT ENERGY COMPLETES SALE OF MUSTANG SOLAR PROJECT TO GOLDMAN SACHS
https://investors.canadiansolar.com/news-releases/news-release-details/canadian-solar-subsidiary-recurrent-energy-completes-sale

This particular Mustang plant was in operation since Q3/2016. Probably recovered some portion of its cost with electricity sells by now.

But stock is simply dead! Volume is ridiculous... Nobody sells & nobody buys...

Edited by MVA

On 5/13/2019 at 10:27 AM, MVA said:

CNY continue to fall: 6.87/USD as of now. Step by step increasing margin for Canadian solar!

USD/CNY   6.9131 as of now... steadily moving to $7

Edited by MVA

Might they raise FY guidance in light of Mustang and Brazil?  Not saying it'll be a huge raise, but do you numbers junkies think its possible?  Or perhaps that was all factored in.

I'll let somebody else answer because I have a horrible feeling regarding this company.

I think some said earlier the largest revenue chunk of Brazil was likely going to come in when these projects are built, i.e. 2020/21.

5 hours ago, Mark said:

Might they raise FY guidance in light of Mustang and Brazil?  Not saying it'll be a huge raise, but do you numbers junkies think its possible?  Or perhaps that was all factored in.

I would believe that Mustang and Brazil was factored into guidance.

Their guidance is likely around 7500MW for revenues. That would place project sales and EPC work at around $1.5-1.6B.

Brazil is a pre- construction sale. That makes very little money up front. It is the services and sales where they make the money. The Construction is supposed to start later this year. That would likely push the bulk of revenues from module sale out to 2020/2021 and a majority of the EPC services out then as well.

Good Lord I'm taking the kids on a trip till wednesday but when I'm back I will tear this article to pieces. No word on project risk in China, Mexico, etc. Be careful you guys. Didn't this guy push LDK at one point?

1 hour ago, Klothilde said:

Good Lord I'm taking the kids on a trip till wednesday but when I'm back I will tear this article to pieces. No word on project risk in China, Mexico, etc. Be careful you guys. Didn't this guy push LDK at one point?

Above all he pushed TSL post financial crises (maybe before and during too, that was before my time) and if I remember correctly "bashed" CSIQ (as much as he would bash anything) post its 2009 accounting scandal. His view on LDK was more opportunistic if I remember correctly (as a previous LDK and then SOL pusher myself).

Mostly he was right. Of the many solars that are no longer listed TSL at least produced some return for shareholders.

5 hours ago, explo said:

Above all he pushed TSL post financial crises (maybe before and during too, that was before my time) and if I remember correctly "bashed" CSIQ (as much as he would bash anything) post its 2009 accounting scandal. His view on LDK was more opportunistic if I remember correctly (as a previous LDK and then SOL pusher myself).

Mostly he was right. Of the many solars that are no longer listed TSL at least produced some return for shareholders.

Hobo was opportunistic. He weaves a nice compelling story. He totally blew his credibility on his pumping of LDK. He used to bash CSIQ because they were not vertically integrated and vertical integration was the way forward according to him. That is why he shifted to LDK and their Poly to module story line. 

He trashed CSIQ because they were just buying cells and slapping them into modules. Anyone could do that  he claimed and the real module makers were doing the full production line. Then the markets shifted to mass producers to lower costs and the CSIQ non vertical integration became the way to go. They carried less inventory and had less exposure during the down cycles. CSIQ did not take the massive write downs that others did in part because they did not have the inventory buildups and they did not spend heavily on Capital expenditures like others including Trina. Their worst write down was what $20 or $40M payment to LDK unlike Trina and others that wrote down hundreds of millions  to Billions in contracts and PPnE.