Jump to content

solarpete

Solar Investor
  • Content count

    412
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    20

solarpete last won the day on March 27

solarpete had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

49 Excellent

About solarpete

  • Rank
    Newbie

Profile Information

  • Location :
    Colorado Springs

Recent Profile Visitors

2,307 profile views
  1. Trading Solars

    Congratulations! It was already back to around 5.40 by the time I saw it. Not touching it until I know what the heck that was all about. Still wonder what's up with that company, though. Down from near 7 just at the beginning of the week. I only have two small trading positions as well, but it looks like they'll be underwater for some time. Is it just a fear of losing business if Chinese solars get tariffs slapped on them, or something else?
  2. Trading Solars

    Anybody got any idea what the hell just happened to RUN? Massive selloff to nearly the 52-week low, now a swift recovery. Can't find any news anywhere.
  3. Trading Solars

    Agreed that FSLR is a good solar stock. They seem to be relatively unaffected by the market fears about Chinese solars. By this I mean they appear to have a solid future in the US at least, whatever happens elsewhere, so any sudden dips (of which there are plenty) are no reasons to panic. They are also a good trading stock, because of that volatility. But those "drops of a dollar" have caused me to change my trading approach (I've changed it in general, but for this stock it's particularly appropriate): I now buy multiple smaller positions spread over a price range, instead of larger positions at single price points. Example: I bought some at 51 after a pullback from the recent runup to 52. Then I bought a little more at 49.25 (pretty close to your buy point). And I have a limit order for a little more at 47.25 (hasn't gotten there yet). If it drops below that, especially after Thursday's decision, I'll stop buying and reassess. But even if the decision goes against them (i.e., no damage/no tariffs), that DB recommendation should provide a floor in the mid-40s. Give it a few weeks, and sentiment will turn again and they will probably rise again, at least enough for me to sell my trading lots for some small gains (no holding for home runs--the odds are just too great another decline will occur first). Rinse, repeat. (And not just with FSLR, but with other solars such as CSIQ, JKS, JASO, and RUN. Each stock has its own dynamics. If one doesn't offer a good entry for a quick trade, another does.) You're undoubtedly a better trader than I am, so this is not news to you. But I found this approach of multiple smaller trading lots quite useful so far. My portfolio has doubled from its lows at the beginning of the year, at a time when individual stocks (with the exception of JKS) have appreciated far less than that. At the same time, I have tons of buying power available should another collapse occur, and I sleep much better at night, because my exposure is small enough at any one time that I can't get hit with any more margin calls at the bottom (which absolutely destroyed my portfolio before).
  4. Trading Solars

    FSLR is quite volatile. It can easily go up and down a dollar or more in one session. I wouldn't worry about it yet. I have a trading position at 51 (from the pullback from 52) that I haven't given up on yet (chuckle)....
  5. Trading Solars

    OK, that explains it. Thanks for the info!
  6. Trading Solars

    As the Aussies say, "spot on, mate!" That's EXACTLY right. The market in general, and our solars in particular, will ALWAYS give you another opportunity to enter a new position at a favorable price. The trick is to take some profits off the table when you have them, before they evaporate again. That's actually harder than figuring out when to buy.
  7. Trading Solars

    I'm not selling any Chinese shares ahead of the recommendation, as I think the chances are 50-50 on the decision (this forum posted links to several submissions indicating the impact to US producers is small, while the impact of a minimum price on US installers would be huge, so now it will come down to whether the ITC actually considers those arguments or acts on impulse--and I think that's a toss-up at best). My actions will come post-recommendation. I have Chinese trading shares, and I have FSLR trading shares. If the decision is to impose a minimum price, FSLR will rise and I'll sell some of those trading shares to buy more Chinese shares at lower levels. (Long-term, I expect Chinese solars to recover after an initial sell-off in this scenario.) If the decision is not to impose a minimum price, the reverse will occur--Chinese solars will rise and I'll sell some of those trading shares to buy more FSLR at lower levels (as I also expect FSLR to recover after an initial sell-off in this scenario--the solar market is large enough to accommodate growth in both FSLR and Chinese products). So in a nutshell, I'm hedging my bets, having money in both Chinese and FSLR shares.
  8. Trading Solars

    Or in FSLR--its volume is pathetic (compared to its average) as well.
  9. Trading Solars

    Best of luck to you and all other forum members in harm's way! Hope the darn thing veers offshore and misses you!
  10. JA Solar (JASO)

    Unfortunately, I can't access that link from my work computer. I'll check it out at home (where it will presumably work). Maybe I did receive an electronic ballot (that's the way TD Ameritrade usually does these things), and already forgot about it again. I do seem to remember receiving a notification about a Board meeting where the offer was on the agenda--I just don't remember my input as a shareholder being solicited (hence my initial claim the board did this on their own). But perhaps it was, and I just don't remember. In any case, I'm certainly under no illusions that my puny few hundred shares would have swayed the outcome.
  11. JA Solar (JASO)

    I owned mine through TD Ameritrade. Perhaps that's the explanation. Although the broker shouldn't care what the share price is, so I don't see why the broker should be the entity entitled to vote.
  12. JA Solar (JASO)

    I have to disagree about the board not being the seller. I was a shareholder. I was NEVER contacted to obtain my approval. My shares were simply sold out from under me when the time came. Did I miss something along the way?
  13. JA Solar (JASO)

    Why not? As long as he can get the board to agree to redeem all shares at his price. That's what happened with Trina, didn't it?
  14. Trading Strategy

    I just don't see that happening. Quite the opposite, in fact. In times of supply glut and poor ASPs, when you would expect manufacturers to reduce output, they've doubled down and actually increased capacity in an effort to expand their individual market share at the expense of their competitors--even if it meant operating at a loss. In other words, competition to the death--drive your competitor broke before you go broke. Not the mindset for suddenly switching to a cooperative model.
  15. TerraForm Power, Inc. (TERP)

    In that case, I suppose I should expect communication from my broker as to whether I want the cash or keep the shares (and since I bought at a higher price, I'll keep the shares). Haven't heard anything yet, though. In any case, I like the sound of that special dividend!
×