odyd

Solar News

19,548 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, slowtrader said:

most panels are not sold on the spot market by the big manufacturers but contracts are signed some time in advance.

Precisely--and that's why I think JKS will remain profitable even in 1Q17.  They guided for expanded shipments.  If you're selling at a loss just to maintain market share, you'd sell the bare minimum amount necessary to maintain your market position.  You wouldn't expand shipments to record levels.  Their shipment volume guidance indicates they've run the numbers (meaning they have an expected selling price) and concluded expansion is the proper course.  It just doesn't make sense to me they'd do that when expecting to operate at a loss during that time.

17 hours ago, odyd said:

Pete, I think that JKS will be able to sell PERC mono modules at about 3 to 5 cents more per watt than regular modules would get. This can help them with the GM. The 25% of volume or around 2GW, may have about 1 cent impact per ASP average for the year. 

However, this will help not necessarily with profit, but the elimination of loss.

It will help, in any case.  We'll see soon enough what 1Q17 brings in terms of profit or loss--the quarter is nearly over already.

One early indicator may be when companies announce their earnings reports--the pattern for many seems to be report early in the period if you have good news, wait if it's bad.  Or maybe that's just my perception?

Jinko is certainly contrary to the trend, I see that PEGI is soft, so their plans scared rather than inspired.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Sungevity is bankrupt now and Jinko is entering commercial solar with new capital. An area which is taken by SunPower. I suppose SunPower will try hold to its residential gains, but this is hardly a revenue provider to support the cash flow needs. 

After a two year pause, I am gathering estimates on adding solar to the roof of my small office building.  It's relevant to a lot of what we discuss here -- ITC and local incentives, utilities and net metering, panel prices, U.S. vs. Chinese modules, payoff periods, etc.

Thus far, it is looking like a no-brainer as we race to get grandfathered into utility's current net metering system (that changes in July).  I will post the breakdown when I get a little more info, but right now, looks like Hanwha modules, 60-70 percent of energy covered by solar and a 6-8 year payoff.  (Other nice thing is that I need a roof job anyway, and if roofing is part of solar install, it is included in the 30 percent ITC - saves me a couple grand right there.)