Dear Guest,
"SolarPVInvestor Forums" is a subscription based site, devoted to investors with an interest in major public solar companies trading on North American, as well as global exchanges. Discussion themes include all aspects of the industry with current news, technology, financials, and investment theses. 
Modern, well organized platform with many ways to extract information, "SolarPVInvestor Forums" is the most sophisticated community of solar investors in North America. Create account and request 24-hours trial package, to experience full access, it is free. 

for access after registration, send an e-mail to

Photo

JASO Q1 ER 2014

86 replies to this topic

#81 explo

explo

师傅

• Premium Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,342 posts
  • Joined 29-September 12
  • LocationEurope
  • Holdings:JASO

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:43 AM

Aren't these projects in China, with lower margins? I'm really concerned about the even lower GM's these will likely bring in the future...

I don't think GM is very low for China anymore. With national FiT the price remains solid, so it is a question of cost and it seems based on Jinko and Trina that cost levels for EPC are now down to a level that renders around 20% GM (China EPC is still a maturing market so cost will improve quickly compared to e.g. Germany which has matured). The big difference is the ASP. With an Ontario 1.0 FiT project having 2.5 times higher ASP (than a China national FiT project) and that causing 30% GM at today's EPC cost the gross profit per watt is 4 times higher at up to $1.20 compared to up to $0.30 in China. So to make the money made on a 10 MW project in Ontario you need a 40-50 MW project in China.

#82 nanofrogfish_spf

nanofrogfish_spf

职业选手

• Premium Members
  • Pip
  • 720 posts
  • Joined 08-November 12
  • LocationOhio USA
  • Holdings:CSIQ

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:10 AM

explo, I'm really confused now. Are you worried about what GM's projects will bring in the future (especially in China were competition is high), or aren't you? You can't have it both ways...being honestly worried when it's one company, but it's a huge plus to highlight if it's another company...even if it's much farther behind the curve and trying to copy the first?

And wouldn't you expect that the company with the higher bankroll would be the one with the best chance of success in the project segment down the road?

#83 explo

explo

师傅

• Premium Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,342 posts
  • Joined 29-September 12
  • LocationEurope

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:21 AM

explo, I'm really confused now. Are you worried about what GM's projects will bring in the future (especially in China were competition is high), or aren't you?

I'm not worried about GMs in China, since the national FiT program there was launched at a long-term sustainable level. Where did you get the impression that I fear that China FiT at 13 cents would experience the boom-bust pattern of markets that launch FiT programs at 40+ cents (causing overheating and severe FiT cuts pressuring an overestablished national downstream market)?

#84 Makan

Makan

新手上路

• Premium Members
  • Pip
  • 257 posts
  • Joined 27-May 13
  • Holdings:CSIQ, JKS, TSL

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:31 AM

I'm not worried about GMs in China, since the national FiT program there was launched at a long-term sustainable level. Where did you get the impression that I fear that China FiT at 13 cents would experience the boom-bust pattern of markets that launch FiT programs at 40+ cents (causing overheating and severe FiT cuts pressuring an overestablished national downstream market)?

Will these FIT effectively be paid out in cash at the end without much curtailment? That is more a concern I guess. The amount is high enough on paper when Jinko builds plants at 1.10 USD/Watt.

#85 explo

explo

师傅

• Premium Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,342 posts
  • Joined 29-September 12
  • LocationEurope

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:38 AM

Will these FIT effectively be paid out in cash at the end without much curtailment? That is more a concern I guess. The amount is high enough on paper when Jinko builds plants at 1.10 USD/Watt.

They will. It is national law. Implementation of payment routines have been a bit slow.

#86 sunnysky

sunnysky

the MAGIC

• Premium Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,604 posts
  • Joined 14-July 13
  • Holdings:CSIQ, DQ, HSOL, JASO, JKS, TSL

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:42 AM

They are being paid as Jinko has confirmed a few times by now.

#87 explo

explo

师傅

• Premium Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,342 posts
  • Joined 29-September 12
  • LocationEurope

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:49 AM

They are being paid as Jinko has confirmed a few times by now.

Yes the national government put pressure on grid companies in different regions around mid last year to get the routines in place. Anyway several project sales by SOL, Trina etc. in China show that the market for PV plants at decent pricing (meaning good GM at the cost level Jinko has disclosed) is there.