Dear Guest,
"SolarPVInvestor Forums" is a subscription based site, devoted to investors with an interest in major public solar companies trading on North American, as well as global exchanges. Discussion themes include all aspects of the industry with current news, technology, financials, and investment theses. Additional premium reporting, covering Mainland China exports, is an extra level of information with details on exported volume of modules, cells, as well as declared customs pricing for global destinations. 
Premium Membership gives you the opportunity to access all forums. "SPVI Chinese Module ED Report" is the most affordable source information about China and US-listed Chinese companies .  Modern, well organized platform with many ways to extract information, "SolarPVInvestor Forums" is the most sophisticated community of solar investors in North America.
While offering limited access to the site, registration is free.

Promotion: Until November 30th, 2013 use this code 28A3F to purchase $100 CAD, one year membership at 20% discount. Limit of 50 users only

Photo

New VAT Policy on selling power

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 explo

explo

师傅

• Premium Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,694 posts
  • Holdings:JKS, SOL

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:40 AM

The distributed FiT has different mechanics. I'm referring to the PV plants.

#22 greensolar

greensolar

职业选手

• Premium Members
  • Pip
  • 525 posts
  • LocationIreland
  • Holdings:SOL

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:40 AM

Now on Yahoo and Reuters,

Big Day tomorrow ..........

China to offer tax breaks to solar power manufacturers

http://finance.yahoo...-162915398.html

#23 odyd

odyd

管理员

• Administrators
  • 4,411 posts
  • LocationAirdrie, Alberta

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:44 AM

Now on Yahoo and Reuters,

Big Day tomorrow ..........

China to offer tax breaks to solar power manufacturers

http://finance.yahoo...-162915398.html

Looks like Reuters cannot put enough negative spin on it, unbiased journalism

#24 joshchang

joshchang

实习生

• Premium Members
  • Pip
  • 690 posts
  • Holdings:CSIQ, JKS

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:45 AM

In the distributed format you do not sell anything, and you get the FiT. Josh, help understand this.  

As long as you are getting paid by FiT amount (0.9-1 RMB), you need to pay VAT. For distributed power plant, there is a subsidy for 0.42 RMB per kwh. 

#25 greensolar

greensolar

职业选手

• Premium Members
  • Pip
  • 525 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:48 AM

Looks like Reuters cannot put enough negative spin on it, unbiased journalism

Completely agree always using LDK and STP to put negativity back in the news.

#26 odyd

odyd

管理员

• Administrators
  • 4,411 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:50 AM

As long as you are getting paid by FiT amount (0.9-1 RMB), you need to pay VAT. For distributed power plant, there is a subsidy for 0.42 RMB per kwh.

I am not sure where did I get this subsidy condition. Thanks for clarification, very good still.

#27 joshchang

joshchang

实习生

• Premium Members
  • Pip
  • 690 posts
  • Holdings:CSIQ, JKS

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:52 AM

Completely agree always using LDK and STP to put negativity back in the news.

WTH, they are using 90% of the article to spin the negativity although this news itself is a big positive for all CN solars.

#28 explo

explo

师傅

• Premium Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:52 AM

Wow that Reuters article is really misleading. They make it sound like manufacturing get tax breaks (i.e. panel supply side support), when it is the panel demand side that's supported with this tax break.

#29 pg6solar

pg6solar

实习生

• Premium Members
  • Pip
  • 762 posts
  • Holdings:CSIQ, JKS, SOL, TSL, YGE

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:00 AM

Let's keep euphoria in check for now. With the looming US gov. shutdown (however short it will last, if any), then debt ceiling crisis(much more serious), market is poised to be taken down (of course as always, they'll take solars down more than others). However, with seemingly good solar news coming almost daily, it will present an other buying opportunity since, if nothing else, China seems to be serious now. 

#30 explo

explo

师傅

• Premium Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:02 AM

I am not sure where did I get this subsidy condition. Thanks for clarification, very good still.

I think the confusion was that I talked about the transmission based generation FiT of 0.9-1 rmb and you about the distributed generation FiT of 0.42 rmb. I think the mechanics of the former is as I described, while the latter is as you described. :)

#31 sunnysky

sunnysky

新手上路

• Premium Members
  • Pip
  • 604 posts
  • Holdings:CSIQ, CSUN, DQ, HSOL, JASO, JKS, SOL, TSL

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:03 AM

Lets try to have a clearer understanding of the FiT and VAT policies.  First of all, the FiT takes different forms for power plants and distributed generation. For power plants, FiT is embedded in the standard price you get paid when sending the electricity to the grid. The standard price varies from 0.90 to 1.00 RMB per kwh based on the region of the plant location. For simplicity, lets use 1.00 RMB through out. I think this 1.00 RMB standard price does not include VAT. Therefore, you have to pay a VAT of 0.17 originally but just need to pay 0.085 now. Your after tax revenue is then 0.915 instead of 0.83 per kwh. The reason to have a standard grid price is that because the electricity cost varies greatly in China based on geographic location, the category of the electricity usage, and other factors, the same standard grid price ensures the same level of investment return in the region with the same level of natural solar resources. (The FiT for central power generation is thus not fixed.)

For distributed generation, you receive a fixed FiT directly, which is pegged at 0.42 per kwh. I'm not quite sure how VAT works here. If you use the electricity yourself, you receive the FiT but I don't think you pay VAT since you are not selling anything. If you sell to the utility for the portion you don't use, it's not clear to me whether you pay VAT or not.  But in case you do pay, it looks like the 50% rebate should apply here as well simply based on the policy. 

Let me know if any of my understanding is incorrect.

#32 odyd

odyd

管理员

• Administrators
  • 4,411 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:05 AM

Sunny, I think everyone was making sense but me. Thanks

#33 sunnysky

sunnysky

新手上路

• Premium Members
  • Pip
  • 604 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:20 AM

The 50% VAT refund was first reported in Chinese press back in the beginning of Aug. Now the official announcement has hit all news wires. No matter how some of news sources like Reuters likes to spin it, I believe this is going to be taken by the street as a huge positive and in turn help to drive up CN solar stock prices.

#34 odyd

odyd

管理员

• Administrators
  • 4,411 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:49 PM

With the looming US gov. shutdown (however short it will last, if any), then debt ceiling crisis(much more serious), market is poised to be taken down (of course as always, they'll take solars down more than others).

If this happens, like for any stock and particularly solar, particularly nonsense reason. 

I think by now here we know to ignore thing like that. 

#35 explo

explo

师傅

• Premium Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:31 PM

Thanks for all the explanations sunnysky.

pg6, I think this VAT rebate is of great significance for the demand in China. It's effect is of persistent nature. If you will you could say that it added hundreds of millions in future profits for China's PV plants and thus their CN11 owners or panel suppliers, but the question is how much the market already priced in this policy.

A temporary U.S. government shut down doesn't really change the risk profile of my Chinese company share assets that much, but market might have an irrational day were they think it is end of the world and only sold gold, guns and gasoline has any value, but it will pass quickly. Equity representing hard assets in other parts of the world (like a Russian oil field or an Australian mining company) might all be treat as U.S. companies depending on government contracts, i.e. simply sell all equity since there's some uncertainty. It might be one of those days were the market focus on the wrong things thus creating a short-term buying oppotunity into the really interesting stories in select sectors or companies.

#36 pg6solar

pg6solar

实习生

• Premium Members
  • Pip
  • 762 posts
  • Holdings:CSIQ, JKS, SOL, TSL, YGE

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:57 PM

However, with seemingly good solar news coming almost daily, it will present an other buying opportunity since, if nothing else, China seems to be serious now. 

#37 explo

explo

师傅

• Premium Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:07 PM

Yes, i realized i was just repeating your insight, but i think the VAT rebate is good reason for excitement due to its persistent impact on cn11 profits. Now the government is not just taking from consumers and traitional producers to fund FiT driven installs of this new energy source, now they are also taking from state revenue. It shows an extra level of support.

#38 Pop2mollys

Pop2mollys

师傅

• Premium Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,930 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:32 PM

This is amazing news. More fuel for the fire. Let see how Chinese solars react when they open up overseas In 2 hours

#39 sunnysky

sunnysky

新手上路

• Premium Members
  • Pip
  • 604 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:48 PM

Looks like Chinese market will stay closed until Tuesday 10/08 due to the National Day holiday.

#40 odyd

odyd

管理员

• Administrators
  • 4,411 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:49 PM

Markets are open and the index is up 3%

https://solarpvinvestor.com/china-index

thing is loading poorly but if you have a minute you should see it.