Dear Guest,
"SolarPVInvestor Forums" is a subscription based site, devoted to investors with an interest in major public solar companies trading on North American, as well as global exchanges. Discussion themes include all aspects of the industry with current news, technology, financials, and investment theses. 
Modern, well organized platform with many ways to extract information, "SolarPVInvestor Forums" is the most sophisticated community of solar investors in North America. Create account and request 24-hours trial package, to experience full access, it is free. 

for access after registration, send an e-mail to

Photo

Emerging Markets News April 2014

125 replies to this topic

#41 sunnysky

sunnysky

the MAGIC

• Premium Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts
  • Joined 14-July 13
  • Holdings:CSIQ, DQ, HSOL, JASO, JKS, TSL

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:31 PM

Another report on China's new law. This is very significant news for the Chinese renewable industry.

Reports: China poised to beef up national Environmental Protection Law

http://www.businessg...protection-law?

The Chinese government is to pass new legislation that will enshrine the principle of prioritising environmental protection over economic growth in a move that could have major implications for the world's biggest polluter, according to new reports from Reuters.

A series of media reports in recent months have confirmed that officials are working on reforms to the country's overarching 1989 Environmental Protection Law, in a move designed to provide stronger legal foundations to the government's various initiatives to reduce carbon emissions and tackle the country's crippling air pollution.

#42 sunnysky

sunnysky

the MAGIC

• Premium Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts
  • Joined 14-July 13

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:04 AM

Tata Power plans to add 646.7 MW from clean energy sources

http://www.thehindub...RSS_Syndication

#43 sunnysky

sunnysky

the MAGIC

• Premium Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts
  • Joined 14-July 13

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:09 AM

Solar power surging in Latin America with World Cup fever

http://www.chinadail...t_17439150.htm?

"By partnering with Renova and other leading Brazilian energy companies, we can help expand Brazil's generating capacity, and fuel the economy's further growth," said Barnett.

Becker offers a Brazilian perspective, saying that China is "well-positioned" in Latin America's solar business. Using Brazil as a steppingstone, "it can replicate the opportunities for Chile, Mexico and other countries", said Becker.

Tomas Garcia, head of market development and strategy for Latin America at SunEdison, an American solar panel maker, said new opportunities for Chinese solar companies in Latin America also lie further along in the supply chain.

"There are a lot of very strong, successful Chinese solar companies. And now they are starting to develop and finance projects, moving on to the downstream part of the business," Garcia said.

#44 sunnysky

sunnysky

the MAGIC

• Premium Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts
  • Joined 14-July 13

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:05 PM

China's new investment in infrastructure and energy - 30 trillion RMB by 15 provinces 

http://guangfu.bjx.c...16/504184.shtml

This will stimulate the economy but there are some concerns about repetitive build-out and further increase of local government debt.

#45 sunnysky

sunnysky

the MAGIC

• Premium Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts
  • Joined 14-July 13

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:21 AM

United PV securing US$1.6 billion in PV project funding

http://www.pv-tech.o...gn=newsnow-feed

#46 odyd

odyd

管理员

• Administrators
  • 7,306 posts
  • Joined 03-January 13
  • LocationAirdrie, Alberta
  • Holdings:CSIQ, TSL

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:23 AM

I do not like those guys obtain their financing so easily but then I never heard of Sinolease.

#47 sunnysky

sunnysky

the MAGIC

• Premium Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts
  • Joined 14-July 13

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:30 AM

United PV is a major investor in PV plants and they are helping to develop a healthy project sales market in China. So in the respect, I think this is very good. The ability to obtain financing underscores two points I think:

(1) United PV has close ties to state owned companies.

(2) Funds are interested in downstream investment.

Also, it's very good we see funds like Sinolease starting to invest in downstream projects in a big way. We need it in China.

#48 odyd

odyd

管理员

• Administrators
  • 7,306 posts
  • Joined 03-January 13

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:38 AM

I understand those points, but I view them as a competition and encouragement for other companies to build plants , and creating competition for grid connection and permits against our bunch. if add everything US-listed plan to do, 6GW has little room when adding the rest of the China companies.

300MW deal with YGE is ok, and step into the right place.

I am also not 100% sure about viability of those statements and how they play out on the ground. Issuing billion dollar news seem very easy these days, but putting 1 billion onto viable project, two different things. I trust balance sheet of our companies and I seen United's

#49 explo

explo

师傅

• Premium Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,430 posts
  • Joined 29-September 12
  • LocationEurope
  • Holdings:DQ, JASO, JKS, TSL

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:52 AM

What about this nonsense then:

http://www.pv-tech.o...for_pv_projects

Shunfeng plans to have 10 GW grid-connected in 2.5 years, an investment that would cost around $15 billion. Good that they raised $0.3 billion from CB as a start.

#50 odyd

odyd

管理员

• Administrators
  • 7,306 posts
  • Joined 03-January 13

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:03 AM

Exactly. In my view this creates an feeling of the bubble, filled with unfulfilled promises. Shunfeng was going to take over Suntech's capacity, and Cayman court stopped it. When they go on the phony scales, with people selling clothing lines 3 years ago and now building PV infrastructure in the country, my eyes start roll a bit. I seen Shunfeng's balance sheet too. They could not find free dime to build a new toilet it seem to me, never mind acquire Suntech and put out 10GW solar plants.

#51 sunnysky

sunnysky

the MAGIC

• Premium Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts
  • Joined 14-July 13

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:05 AM

Needless to say, there is a fierce competition to grab a pie in the downstream business. State owned companies have an upper hand due to their financial strength, government ties, and easy financing from the banks. This imposes a challenge for our US-listed companies to expand  their project business. TSL's Gao has already expressed some concerns about it. On the other hand, I think it also validates the growing demand. While an overheating sector is a warning sign, a lonely dance by the CN7 could also be troublesome. In the end, I think the the market will sort it out and the space is big enough and growing. China has learned a lesson from its past and I hope government now has much stronger will and means to regulate it.

#52 odyd

odyd

管理员

• Administrators
  • 7,306 posts
  • Joined 03-January 13

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:06 AM

Finally, TSL should be building 5GW a year, they way its balance sheet is composed.  It appears to me that years of listing on the US exchanges and status of public company and associated scrutiny, mixed with common sense and power of your resources, makes our companies as a true gauge of China.

2GW combined effort or so, on own solar plants, makes a plenty of sense in 2014.

#53 explo

explo

师傅

• Premium Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,430 posts
  • Joined 29-September 12
  • LocationEurope

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:28 AM

I agree. The majority of the long-term value in the industry lies in what United PV does (own plants), but the long-term ability to secure the sourcing needed to cost effeciently develop PV projects lies in what CN4 & co have built up during the years. Ability to develop projects secures the plant ownership access. Soon everybody wants one, but few control the chain required to get one. This is why I am invested in the CN11, they will (together with GCL) dominate the chain required to secure ownership of low cost PV plants - the cash cows of the future - and can thus claim ownership of these climate saving cash cows. As my article series on it illustrated this strategy quickly becomes a self-funded growth machine (connected plants fund development of new projects and required manufacturing capacity expansion after a point of critical mass is reached). The manufacturing dominance is a means, not an end.

#54 sunnysky

sunnysky

the MAGIC

• Premium Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts
  • Joined 14-July 13

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:33 PM

Some good news for DG.

Jiangsu is confident in the completion of 1 GW DG installation target in 2014 and there is a possibility to even apply for an increase.

http://solar.ofweek....0-28798937.html

#55 explo

explo

师傅

• Premium Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,430 posts
  • Joined 29-September 12
  • LocationEurope

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:22 AM

Some good news for DG.

Jiangsu is confident in the completion of 1 GW DG installation target in 2014 and there is a possibility to even apply for an increase.

http://solar.ofweek....0-28798937.html

Cool. One province is confident that they alone can hit close to 20% of the DG target.

#56 JulyWebb

JulyWebb

中级会员

• Premium Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
  • Joined 26-February 13
  • LocationTexas
  • Holdings:HSOL, JASO, RGSE

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:56 AM

JKS successfully connects to the Grid Projects in Jiangsu Province http://solar.ofweek....0-28798714.html

http://finance.yahoo...-194505873.html

#57 odyd

odyd

管理员

• Administrators
  • 7,306 posts
  • Joined 03-January 13

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:43 AM

Article on Shunfeng, its relation to bond managers, lack of interest in bonds, etc

http://www.ifrasia.c...1141793.article

#58 odyd

odyd

管理员

• Administrators
  • 7,306 posts
  • Joined 03-January 13

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:49 AM

Ningbo is going to give 0.10 yuan per Kwh for 5 years if using locally produced materials, in solar plants, but good translation is needed to provide clearer message, also talks about 370MW of DG projects' focus.

http://solar.ofweek....0-28799372.html

#59 sunnysky

sunnysky

the MAGIC

• Premium Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts
  • Joined 14-July 13

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:58 PM

Saudi Arabia to generate 41GW of solar power

http://gulftoday.ae/...fd5d90604.aspx?

RIYADH: The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has announced plans to invest $109 billion to produce 41 gigawatts (GW) of solar energy by 2032, which is almost 30 per cent of its total energy requirement by that time. 

Over the next two decades, the government plans to establish energy generation projects, which runs on photovoltaic cells (PV cells) with a capacity of 16 GW. In addition, it will also facilitate energy generation projects that will make use of energy concentrate with a capacity of 26GW. All these initiatives will boost the Kingdom’s potential for becoming the largest producer of solar energy in the world.

Saudi Energy 2014 — The International Trade Exhibition for Electricity, Power Generation, Alternative Energy, Water Technology and Lighting will take place in the kingdom to throw the spotlight on the latest products and services for the power sector. 

Held under the patronage of the Ministry of Water and Electricity and organised by Riyadh Exhibitions Company and Informa Exhibitions, Saudi Energy 2014 will be held from May 26 to 28, 2014 at the Riyadh International Convention and Exhibition Centre.  

#60 sunnysky

sunnysky

the MAGIC

• Premium Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts
  • Joined 14-July 13

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:03 PM

China Premier Li Reiterates Plans to Boost Clean Energy

http://www.bloomberg...an-energy.html?

China, the world’s biggest investor in renewable energy, reiterated plans to boost construction of solar and wind power plants along with projects to transmit electricity from the clean sources.

The nation will also start construction of some key nuclear power projects in eastern coastal areas and “reasonable” hydropower plants, according to comments from Premier Li Keqiang posted on the central government’s website.

The statement reinforces China’s commitment to look for alternative sources of energy as the nation’s policy makers grapple with improving the nation’s air and water supplies.

China will begin building ultra-high voltage and regular grids to deliver power from the country’s west to the east, Li said in the statement, underscoring a previous plan. The country will also promote clean-energy vehicles.

Electricity power system reform will be speeded up and trade between power suppliers and users will be promoted, the statement said.