odyd

Solar News

19,417 posts in this topic

It's articles like this that make investing in solar so frustrating--even public officials (not just environmentalists) are coming to realize solar's potential, yet the companies in the sector continue to struggle.

I think the problem lies in the high potential that may be coming, as there are to many who like to participiate and it's too easy to enter this market and build up some capacity now. There is simply not enough differentiaton in this Market.

Is SolarCity's Buffalo Solar Plant a Failure? Tesla Thinks So

http://www.fool.com/investing/2016/10/17/is-solarcitys-buffalo-solar-plant-a-failure-tesla.aspx

Well, did anyone familiar with the industry (I guess Musk wasn't) really think a cost competive 1 GW fab could be erected from nowhere in a high cost country? Looks like high-tech Panasonic (similar to SPWR, i.e. super high conversion efficiency allows higher cost) stuff will have to fill the space.

Edited by explo

One can only hope voters actually READ what they're being asked to vote on.  Here in Colorado, we've got a 2-page ballot with a plethora of constitutional amendments (the Colorado state constitution is one of the easiest to amend--indeed, making it harder to do that is one of our proposed amendments!), a half-page long list of Presidential candidates from parties no one's ever heard of, plus a whole slew of top- and mid-level judges whom voters can decide to dump from the bench for lousy job performance--IF they actually bother to read the hefty pamphlet describing all their choices.  I started last week, and I'm still not done.  I'm not all that sanguine there'll be a lot of informed choices made this year.  Perhaps there is something to this fear of the "tyranny of the masses" after all (chuckle)....

"Prices of China-Made PV Modules Spike Following Price Raise in Mid- and Upstream Sectors: Price Trend"

http://pv.energytrend.com/price/Prices_of_China_Made_PV_Modules_Spike_Following_Price_Raise_in_Mid_and_Upstream_Sectors.html

Looking at recent articles over past week highlighting price rebounds, this seems to be first article to actually say module pricing has just begun to spike.  Actual confirmation that the price surge has hit module pricing is great news.  This article came out after market close last night.  

Edited by Pop2mollys

LOL. Pop enters and headlines talk about spiking modules prices. Fasten your seatbelts folks.

1 hour ago, explo said:

LOL. Pop enters and headlines talk about spiking modules prices. Fasten your seatbelts folks.

Explo has their been any confirmation before the article I posted that module prices have begun spiking?  We have seen poly, cell, and wafer pop before without without follow through to modules actually happening.  I got back into sector for trade in anticipation of this flowing into modules but wasn't positive it would actually happen.  Confirmation of modules spiking should be great news (atleast short term) for sector.  Even though there has been a strong reversal in sector recently I don't see any reason why it wouldn't continue in the short term to reflect surprising reversal of spot prices... especially at current price levels of sector.

Edited by Pop2mollys

1 hour ago, Pop2mollys said:

Explo has their been any confirmation before the article I posted that module prices have begun spiking?  We have seen poly, cell, and wafer pop before without without follow through to modules actually happening.  I got back into sector for trade in anticipation of this flowing into modules but wasn't positive it would actually happen.  Confirmation of modules spiking should be great news (atleast short term) for sector.  Even though there has been a strong reversal in sector recently I don't see any reason why it wouldn't continue in the short term to reflect surprising reversal of spot prices... especially at current price levels of sector.

I expected the confirmation to come the coming week when ASPs are published on pvinsights on Wednesday, but it seems we can be quite sure about the green light on Wednesday. Gordo turned bullish already and he usually needs a screaming big green light to turn positive on the sector. The mid 2017 deadline before China FiT cut is expected to cause a demand surge..