Sign in to follow this  
dydo

Trading Solars

Interesting idea! 

but wouldn't they do that a little closer to the meeting date?  Otherwise the share price will just climb right back.

I'm totally a newbie here, so is that sort of thing happening before with other deals?  

Thank you-

Matt

One lesson I learned from fslr is price before fundamental. Bought fslr at 60 where they said its cost cheaper than Chinese solars. Sold at 34.

How much cheaper cost is it now? Price foretold the story long before.

7 minutes ago, sunnypease said:

do any of you chinese solar traders read chinese?  Because there is something in that twitter about the deal.  It's in chinese!

I heard  to prevent capital out flow, Chinese government is considering some policy discouraging oversea aquisition. As if it applies to tsl, I have no clue.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-investment-idUSKBN13K1QX

The only part applicable to TSL is this:

"...Other overseas transactions affected will be investments in overseas-listed companies that are less than 10 percent of those firms' total equity, direct investments made by limited partnerships and Chinese capital trying to participate in the delisting of overseas-listed Chinese companies, the WSJ said."

Edited by pg6solar

So what does it all mean for $TSL?  

TSL is an ADR.  I thought that means that it's primary listing is on a non-US exchange.  

Can someone explain to me why Chinese capital delisting overseas-listed Chinese companies is bad for capital flight?

the original article

http://www.wsj.com/articles/china-issuing-strict-controls-on-overseas-investment-1480071529

24 minutes ago, pg6solar said:

Also, it would be nice to know what does China consider a "Chinese company" because TSL officially is Cayman Islands incorporated company.

We'll have to get in touch with their investor relations.  Anyone had experience talking with IR departments when things go awry?

Are they allowed to say anything by SEC rules?

I went back & deleted irrelevant posts.  Trying to keep it tidy.

One last thing to say about TSL.  It must be in their best interest to calm investors if everything is going to be OK. 

This article on zerohedge made it sound like the CN capital controls are there for a good reason.  To stop fraudulent capital flight.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-11-26/china-unveils-new-capital-controls-freezing-ma-frenzy

Whether or not they'll turn off all deals or allow them on a case by case I don't understand.  ZeroHedge seems to think completely off, but they seem to be alarmist.

Given that people think that Trina is getting bought for too little money, it does not seem that TSL is a scam.  I can't really imagine why the Chinese government would oppose it.  (but that could be my wishful thinking)

Matt

Hmm I've just spent about 30 minutes trying to reach various people at Trina Solar to no avail.  

I'm surprised that all the telephone numbers listed in the SEC filing seem to be dead numbers.

@zangnut on StockTwits says that Yvonne  IR@trinasolar.com usually writes back.  So anyone here with TSL, please write & share what you learn.  I will too.

Good night all

Matt

Hmm I've just spent about 30 minutes trying to reach various people at Trina Solar to no avail.  
I'm surprised that all the telephone numbers listed in the SEC filing seem to be dead numbers.
@zangnut on StockTwits says that Yvonne  IR@trinasolar.com usually writes back.  So anyone here with TSL, please write & share what you learn.  I will too.
Good night all
Matt

Here is someone got back from Trina IR department when being asked about the stock volatility. I believe this is the same said in their August press release after the buyout became definite(?)

Dear XXX,

The Company expects all conditions to closing to be completed, and thus the trading of the ADSs to be ceased, during the first quarter of 2017.

Thanks and Regards,

Yvonne
IR of Trina Solar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you guys think it would be too much to ask them to issue a press release, clarifying why the new capital controls will not affect the deal?

I wonder if they really have reviewed the new laws or if they are attempting to fly under the radar.

Q4 for SOL is high single digits, not a lot of future predictability here. Their GM was about 7 to 12% lower in Q3 than other 3 (CJT)

Why would TSL calm the markets? Its not like they are raising equity so need higher PPS. If they're able  (directly or indirectly) to purchase shares on the open market for lower than the take out price, why wouldn't they? I do not see how PPS falling prior to the Vote is a disadvantage to them and do not think any such release will be issued (other than maybe "we do not comment on daily market volatility"). 

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/economy/article/2050029/chinas-foreign-investment-shopping-spree-over-beijing-moves-slash

This article (a little closer to the source) sounds more hopeful.  Sounds like there has been some backlash & they are really trying to target dodgy deals.  

From what I've read one positive is that TSL has several buyers & each is probably making a sub-200 million investment, judging by the number of them.  Some of the mentioned rules were for 1 billion + investments.

On the negative side, because there are many investors, we don't know if the government views those investors as legitimate or not.  I'm trying to find out more...

Matt

WSJ article: http://www.wsj.com/articles/china-issuing-strict-controls-on-overseas-investment-1480071529

8 hours ago, pg6solar said:

Why would TSL calm the markets? Its not like they are raising equity so need higher PPS. If they're able  (directly or indirectly) to purchase shares on the open market for lower than the take out price, why wouldn't they? I do not see how PPS falling prior to the Vote is a disadvantage to them and do not think any such release will be issued (other than maybe "we do not comment on daily market volatility"). 

Snap! Now I got it.  Doh!

Yeah right, they can just sit around scooping up shares for < 11.60 saving 2.55 a share for each one.  

Hmm.  if we are talking sinister, then what about this...  the double whammy scenario.  They load up now & then just announce the deal is off.  Investors backed out.  Simultaneous dump all those shares they just bought cheap.  

They can kill the deal, let the stock drop & then just scoop up the remaining shares on the open market. 

That way they can also just avoid all this extra Chinese government scrutiny.

Can the SEC see if share buying is concentrated into a too few hands?

Thank you-

Matt

Anyone think that CAFD is a good value @ 12.8?  

Tech stocks down hard.  Anyone think this is the beginning of a market meltdown?

Today Travis @ fool.com said he'd stay away from CSIQ.  He thinks they may not last through the downturn.  

http://www.fool.com/investing/2016/11/30/which-solar-stock-could-fall-first-in-a-solar-indu.aspx

What do you all think of Travis?  He sure does love his SPWR, right?  

Matt

34 minutes ago, sunnypease said:

Today Travis @ fool.com said he'd stay away from CSIQ.  He thinks they may not last through the downturn.  

http://www.fool.com/investing/2016/11/30/which-solar-stock-could-fall-first-in-a-solar-indu.aspx

Matt

He has been saying to invest in SPWR, while the company is on the verge of bankruptcy. 1.2B of debt is supporting solar plants on Canadian balance sheet. CSIQ will sell the US plans which are the largest volume. They only keep Japanese projects and only until they IPO them.

I am not concerned with any writing by Travis. He is superficial, mostly wrong and indeed bias. If CSIQ drops because ordinary folks look at the company the way he does, great, I can't wait to be buying it below $10.00.

I love negativity about the sector,  cause by Q2 we will have two companies left to invest with a potential to create value JKS and CSIQ. However the bleeding will continue for Q4, and things should improve after Q1, March- April would be the buying season.

I think SPWR will not recover and FSLR can fall into obscurity. Those stocks have two years of issues ahead of them. Travis implied that Chinese are facing the same, the point is that they could face nothing of this level.

• Upvote 1

Superficial is a good way to explain his posts.  I agree.  

For a while I was listening to him.  I lost money on FSLR after Q2 reports.  I was shocked to see him recommending FSLR & SPWR the week before Q3 reports!

Now, with some help from you guys, I'm doing better.  Shorting FSLR & SPWR.  Though it is a bit stressful with prices so low and patriotic feelings high.

I wonder what SPWR will announce on Dec. 7.   Deeper doo doo or maybe a deeper commitment from Total?

14 hours ago, sunnypease said:

Matt

He equals all debt which makes the analysis meaningless. Debt in a PV Power plant subsidiary with PPA or FiT in place is already covered by the cash flows that power plant will generate from the fixed price electricity sales the coming 20 years. The risk to that debt (which is also often fixed in interest rate) is basically that the sun stops shining and that's a risk to most businesses or that the PPA counter party (utility company potentially state owned) or FiT counter party (national government) defaults. The counter party risk is as low as it gets in business and in case of counter party default there is still the electricity generated to find a new buyer for.

Compare this with manufacturing debt to buy production equipment where you have all sort of technology and market risks.

Edited by explo
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, explo said:

The counter party risk is as low as it gets in business and in case of counter party default there is still the electricity generated to find a new buyer for.

Compare this with manufacturing debt to buy production equipment where you have all sort of technology and market risks.

Speaking of this.  pv.energytrend.com has an article about PV parks in china laying unconnected to the grid?  Sounds bad -- has this been covered before?  New news or old news?

http://pv.energytrend.com/news/More_than_5GW_of_Solar_PV_in_China_May_not_be_Subsidized.html

6 minutes ago, sunnypease said:

Speaking of this.  pv.energytrend.com has an article about PV parks in china laying unconnected to the grid?  Sounds bad -- has this been covered before?  New news or old news?

http://pv.energytrend.com/news/More_than_5GW_of_Solar_PV_in_China_May_not_be_Subsidized.html

That's a problem, but CSIQ is the CN with least CN exposure.

3 minutes ago, sunnypease said:

Is it new or old?  Just trying to build a clearer picture of threats to profits.  

Issues with connections (curtailment, delayed subsidy catalog update) in China is not new. Some of the specifics here was new to me.

Yieldcos are dropping like stones, nothing new with stupid market

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

On 11/7/2016 at 10:24 AM, odyd said:

PEGI is selling on weak internal controls, my luck

Falling treasuries the reason ?

Falling treasuries the reason ?

Connection is IR for debt? Not seeing a lot of risk , I give more expensive than $21, would cut into my round share buying with dividend, but

On 11/7/2016 at 10:24 AM, odyd said:

PEGI is selling on weak internal controls, my luck

I mean, market trying to maintain the same yield gap between PEGI and treasuries as was when the treasuries were high.