Sign in to follow this  
dydo

REITs

Currently in SPG and HCN. Both declared dividends. SPG $1.95 per share and $0.87 for HCN. HCN did not raise the dividend, still, the yield for it is 5.8% and for SPG is 4.7%. Awesome.

For those who are looking at dividend yields and quality REITS, I would recommend, SPG, HCN, VTR, and PSA. However, both PSA and SPG are high priced, and even when returning 4% plus yield, do not offer a lot in case of buying shares with it (for me). I prefer HCN and VTR in those conditions. I sold HCN and bought VTR again, as I hope they will increase already high yield dividend of 5.8%.  HCN has a yield of 6%. I have SBRA as well which pays 9% plus. I think this stock settled by $17. 60 range. I also hope they will increase their dividend to perhaps $0.46 per share.

I am not adding a lot to the solar discussion, but REITs are at the lowest in some 24 to 36 months. I took long and a deep look at the markets and nothing, with exception of utilities, is trading at their lows. Utilities do not have high dividends, and REITs will boom with new infrastructure objectives and money available. Interest rates impact borrowing but check what SPG did with refinancing dropped from 3.6% to 3% average. BTW SPG has a buy at $240 from one of the brokerages, and the stock is trading at $159. Good Luck if you considering anything here. 

Bought HCN again at 57.05 and average with VTR at 53.85.

I am reading about investing in DQ at the 50s, there are many REITs of blue cheap quality selling at this levels, like HCN and VTR. Retired shareholders are getting kicked out of their investments by stop losses making those prices jokingly low. Now it looks like 5 year low numbers. At 6% dividends, they also offer appreciation 10 to 20%, yes they may not hit 40% return but, they are certainly viable investment vehicles. Good luck to all. 

52 minutes ago, pg6solar said:

Why overweight VTR over HCN? Similar yield (HCN fractionally higher), but HCN pays in 3 weeks vs. 2+ months wait for VTR.

I expect VTR pay in March. It is an averaging out for the reason of buying in yesterday and price droping today. I hope for it to increase dividend as well. The price of the stock allows more share buys and in turn adding dividend. 

Different share price is an illusion. Yield is the key. Say investing $10,000 in each stock. One gets a bit more shares in VTR, but HCN pays a bit more per share. When one gets dividend, its fractionally higher in $$ with HCN, hence the question. Simple math.

21 minutes ago, pg6solar said:

Different share price is an illusion. Yield is the key. Say investing $10,000 in each stock. One gets a bit more shares in VTR, but HCN pays a bit more per share. When one gets dividend, its fractionally higher in $$ with HCN, hence the question. Simple math.

One of the main advantages of buying a lower priced stock is the amount of investors available to invest in it. High priced stocks will generally have fewer small investors as there is heartache to paying $200 a share. That is why stocks generally split when they start reaching certain levels(typically high double or triple digits). The lower price will increase the investor pool, thus in theory the demand pool for the stock resulting in increased share price. This can create more volatility in a stock.

The inverse is also true that the higher the share price is, then the investors are more likely to be large institutional investors. These investors are typically longer term holders which create less volatility. 

1 hour ago, pg6solar said:

The question was answered. I averaged.  I replaced both SPG and PSA with a fraction of share costs. $100k invested in VTR gives me 28 shares reinvestment and 9 in SPG. That was the relationship to more shares. 

SC,

$54+ VTR vs $58+ HCN? I do not see much difference in price and both trade with similar volume too. Lets stay on specific stocks without introducing hypotheticals:

1. buying $10,000 of VTR at closing price of $54.33 - is about 184 shares. Dividend is (currently) .79, or $145.36.

2. with the same $10,000 of HCN at closing price of $58.45 - is only about 171 shares. Dividend is already declared - .87 (not raised, but is still higher), or $148.77.

How more clear can it be? Yield is the key (and both are top notch companies).

Edited by pg6solar