Sign in to follow this  
dydo

Beyond Solar

Guest JMK

We already discussed TSLA. I would like  to add TSLA Chinese peer - KNDI. TSLA is already priced as a future big winner. Nevertheless a curent $152 is just the very first step to prosperity. Electrical vehicles (EV) are not a distant future of transportation. A fast development of EV goes along with a fast growing PV solar industry. I remember calculations stating that if 30% of all cars become electrical the world will have to triple electrical power consumption. The only source to do it is PV solar energy. It seems to me that due to a huge air pollution China will be ahead of all the planet in introducing EV.  

BBRY.. pure speculation

I have this handset from work, it is pretty good. The company did not put enough money in the R&D. This was the problem. 

Guest JMK

I was told this one is a good one American Water Works Company, Inc. (AWK) and Aqua America Inc. (WTR) 

Those 2 are well established companies. You can not expect too much gain buying and holding them. I prefer another concept: finding a nearest future booming industries and play them with the same manner as we did with PV solar. The market follows this concept too pricing those prospective stocks in advance. we already saw it how it works for CSIq, JKS, SPWR and others. I beleive this approach is more profitable. 

Yes, this may not to be a booming idea, but water resources are becoming scarce. I draw attention to those, as a starter of the conversation. What about water regeneration, waste water filtration etc. 

Guest JMK

BBRY.. pure speculation, the company is trading at cash value. And recently gave up its handset business to Foxconn. The new CEO said it will be focus on software instead of hardware going forward. The companty still have huge customer base, so any improve from here will be a plus for the stock.

Trading at cash value is a bargain only if it is profitable. Otherwise a cash burning "mechanism" wioll bring a cash to zero pretty fast. BBRY lost all the battles to AAPL and GOOG/SAMSUNG. Financials are not good as it looks on the first glance. It is a classical trading stock with a very cloudy future. Thre only advantage BBRY is a high level of security, that is why Blackberry phones are used mostly by governements, banks and secret survices. A customer base is deteriorarting. Be careful unless you are a day trader.

I have this handset from work, it is pretty good. The company did not put enough money in the R&D. This was the problem. 

I dont have position currently, but yesterday i was listen to one of the intervews by the new CEO, he mentioned that they will develop software or possible app for other phone using different operation system in the futhure. So instead of making new phones, they will focus on software and charge monthly fees.

Guest JMK

Yes, this may not to be a booming idea, but water resources are becoming scarce. I draw attention to those, as a starter of the conversation. What about water regeneration, waste water filtration etc. 

Right, everything is right, Odyd. A lack of water resources is a problem for many years and getting only worse. It is a pretty old story and the market priced all possible improvements well in advance. You can not expect any explosive development here. Nevertheless if you can wait for 3-4 years to double your money these stocks are Okay.

Right, everything is right, Odyd. A lack of water resources is a problem for many years and getting only worse. It is a pretty old story and the market priced all possible improvements well in advance. You can not expect any explosive development here. Nevertheless if you can wait for 3-4 years to double your money these stocks are Okay.

what about connecting hydrogen fuel cells into the category of water management?

I got to be honest I follow the Tesla discussion. I od not know much about, but in my view it is not easy to breaking into the automotive industry. Are the other big car manufactures going to sit around wait for Tesla to succeed?

The investing game is really built on the concept of resources and technology. Solar is probably the best when it comes to marrying both.

Are they any attractive energy storage companies to pair this up?

KNDI. TSLA is already priced as a future big winner. Nevertheless a curent $152 is just the very first step to prosperity. Electrical vehicles (EV) are not a distant future of transportation. A fast development of EV goes along with a fast growing PV solar industry. I remember calculations stating that if 30% of all cars become electrical the world will have to triple electrical power consumption. The only source to do it is PV solar energy. It seems to me that due to a huge air pollution China will be ahead of all the planet in introducing EV.

what can you tell me about this company?

Guest Norse

Tesla is more than a car company. They are also partners with Mercedes and Toyota. Tesla has the best techbology atm. In regards to water: http://www.techhive.com/article/2031221/lockheed-martin-develops-a-saltwater-filter-with-graphene.html "According to Reuters, the Lockheed Martin scientists say their filter is “500 times thinner than the best filter on the market today and a thousand times stronger.” The graphene filtration method uses 100 times less energy than current saltwater filtration systems."

Guest sleepyhead

I think Tesla is by far the best investment out there IMO. It will succeed because of the "inventor's dilemma": no auto manufacturer will canabalize ICE sales by investing in EV. By the time Tesla shows success, it will be too late for other guys. Think internet vs. newspaper or Apple vs. Blackberry. I also think Tesla will be the leader in battery storage technology for solar, by a mile.

Guest Norse

KNDI makes small EVs, higly speculative. But as we saw earlier. Beijing and the rest of China is forcing EVs on People. Btw, in Norway Tesla was the most sold car in the last months here. 13% of all cars sold here are EVs the last couple of months.

The EVs are coming!

Interesting that you bring graphene up. Breakthrough is associated with using this material on solar cells.

http://qz.com/135380/its-stronger-than-steel-and-paper-thin-but-graphene-isnt-living-up-to-its-promise/

Seems it has usage in storage as well

article on the stocks in the space

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tomkonrad/2013/09/18/graphene-stock-investing-what-the-pros-think/2/

Guest JMK

I got to be honest I follow the Tesla discussion. I od not know much about, but in my view it is not easy to breaking into the automotive industry. Are the other big car manufactures going to sit around wait for Tesla to succeed?

The investing game is really built on the concept of resources and technology. Solar is probably the best when it comes to marrying both.

Are they any attractive energy storage companies to pair this up?

You hit a nail .... We have to find the most  interesting STORAGE public companies.  

Guest Norse

Byd might be a good buy, are you sure that is the right ticker btw? So many listed company with the same name. Also, explo if you are Norwegian, or atleast can trade in Oslo, i would look into NOM. I have made alot there lately.

Guest Norse

Here is another ticker: http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=BYDDF&ql=0 I am not sure which one is correct. NOM has alot of info here: www.nordicmining.com They are into alot of different things. However the stock is up 350% the last three months already. They want to produce lithium for batteries, rutile for solar storage, quarts for solar grade silicon with Bea Solar, gold and some different stuff. Highly speculative as none of the projects has started. But if all of them do this could be a 1000bagger.

Stock can have many alternative listings. BYD's main listing is in Hong Kong. Check trading volume difference between the tickers to figure out which exchange has the main trading of the stock. Ok NOM might become interesting, but it sounds hard to value. My stock investment philosophy is based on investment in underpriced stocks, so I need to be able to calculate a motivated price, which is hard with low future free cash flow visibility. Keep us updated if the company visibility increases.

I like this article from this author

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1555832-lithium-stocks-that-could-explode

The debate between lithium and hydrogen, takes a turn for hydrogen when it comes to storage of energy from solar. To me all those concepts are undiscovered country, and I am planning to become a lot more aware. If there is a fellow member here who can help with this I would appreciate the input.  

The debate between lithium and hydrogen, takes a turn for hydrogen when it comes to storage of energy from solar. To me all those concepts are undiscovered country, and I am planning to become a lot more aware. If there is a fellow member here who can help with this I would appreciate the input.  

It seems he likes those penniless explorers from Canada. I used to make an investment in those in the nineties, mostly gold. Lack of communication and no money was a big deterrent , but if they sold out to a major it would be a huge gain. The other three big ones like ROC, FMR and SQM seem like thy have already priced in. Yet, ROC looks like it is really cheap, I may have to look into financials of it. 

Both Musk and the Nissan CEO says hydrogen is not the future. http://mobile.bloomb...l-vehicles.html

Have a look at this article, i seems like hydrogen could be an answer for a commercial systems to store solar energy.

http://cleantechnica.com/2013/12/19/hydrogen-storage-large-scale-renewable-energy-storage-demonstration-projects/

Now we just need to find who does this, and it is listed.