Sign in to follow this  
dydo

Beyond Solar

Before the solar I did some junk REIT investing. I was just looking back and STWD looks pretty good today, around 11% dividend profitable, stable.There many names some with better yields if you are interested shareholders of record March 31, $0.48 around PEGI price.

presentation below

http://ir.starwoodpropertytrust.com/Cache/1001208253.PDF?O=PDF&T=&Y=&D=&FID=1001208253&iid=4235133

I am looking at the numbers, and comparing STWD with PEGI, which happens to be in the same place of value per share. Since the dividend payout is 26% higher on STWD, I will switch them over next week. Shareholders on record are March 31, but payment is April 15th.

I think that PEGI may have equity improvement event in around its Q1. So I will keep my options open.

I also found ARI, it offers over 11% dividend payable on April 15 to SOR March 31.  $0.46, it is selling at $16 per share. Profitable under the merger consideration with another REIT. I am still looking.

I wrote here about ARI buying AMTG. I was curious if anyone was interested in this deal. In short ARI is paying $14.53 per share for shares of AMTG. 0.4153 in ARI shares and around $7.53 in cash. AMTG is trading at $13.28 Friday.

About the merger

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/apollo-commercial-real-estate-finance-131500626.html

AMTG is paying a dividend of $0.48 per share

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/apollo-residential-mortgage-inc-declares-201500091.html

The way I see it you get $14.5% yield and if this concludes and I see no reason for not, you get arbitrage gain of $1 per share.

I am curious if anyone sees a concern in this scenario. In my math, this calls it for 81% greater dividend payout than PEGI's payments and the timeline is the same.

The risk merger is not going, and one can lose by the price going down. We are not looking at SUNE and Vivint situation, so I doubt we will see no deal.

The book value was $16.40, and the moving book value clause was represented by the 89% buyout, bringing payout to $14.59.

In case of the 10,000 shares' purchase, one is potentially looking at $1 gain per share currently $13.28 versus $14.59, paid in shares of ARI at 0.4153 and $7.59 in cash.  Dividend of $4800 plus $10K

Investment thesis return 14,800/132,800=11.4% predictable return or potentially more

After spending a  couple of hours and reading most of the opinions I am more confused than certain what to do. I will probably do nothing as a result and stick to what I know.

• Upvote 1

I also just turn bearish for no apparent reason other than the fact that market has gone up a lot lately.  With that said, market can continue to keep going higher.  The cash is burning a hole in my pocket, though.  However, I need to be patient.  How do you see the market behave long/short term?

NYMT, gone up 7% still cheap at around 5.10 BV about $7.  $0.24 per quarter dividend paid to SOR March 28, paid on April 25rd. That is 19%, in my case I got to buy it tomorrow I am not getting in.

All those names are just some short-term views. Proceed at your own risk. TWO is a ticker. I like ARI as well.

13 hours ago, Jetmoney said:

I also just turn bearish for no apparent reason other than the fact that market has gone up a lot lately.  With that said, market can continue to keep going higher.  The cash is burning a hole in my pocket, though.  However, I need to be patient.  How do you see the market behave long/short term?

Here are some comments on the bearish sentiment of investors. Predicting market moves is hard, so I just avoid tactical moves based on such predictions and just stick with my strategy that I believe is designed to handle any market move well, especially since we in my view are not in extended territory relative to the long-term equities trend (looking over several cycles).

Why hedge fund pain could mean stock market gains

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/why-hedge-fund-pain-could-173113463.html

"This implies as much as 2,250-2,300," the perennially bullish Lee noted. Whether stocks actually end up rising that substantially, Lee's bottom line is that "there's a huge amount of upside from here because we're talking a trillion sold short."

The windup of this nervousness is that "if model-driven strategies take hold of the market on the upside, and the bearish observations ... do not materialize, the pain in the hedge fund world will be that much more acute. And, that portends to even higher prices as they are forced to capitulate and join in."

In other words, the "pain point" for many large investors is located to the upside — which might be an argument that the market bounce has legs as this pain causes capitulation.

[odyd, feel free to move these general market direction speculation discussions to the trading thread if that's where they belong]

• Upvote 1

I am holding one of the REITs with the SOR date of March 31, payable April 15. Yield 11.30% I am planning a jump to one which should have SOR on the April 15th, payable on 29th. This one is 13.47% yield.

See how it goes but I am planning to set a scenario when one can walk from SOR to payment and collect in higher frequency. Collecting eight times versus four it doubles to 20% return. Without a lot of flex in the equity, it could be easy money.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, odyd said:

I am holding one of the REITs with the SOR date of March 31, payable April 15. Yield 11.30% I am planning a jump to one which should have SOR on the April 15th, payable on 29th. This one is 13.47% yield.

See how it goes but I am planning to set a scenario when one can walk from SOR to payment and collect in higher frequency. Collecting eight times versus four it doubles to 20% return. Without a lot of flex in the equity, it could be easy money.

First of all what's SOR short for? Second of all I'm trying to understand your strategy. Is it based on getting in before ex dividend dates of different stocks (walk the dividends) and out afterward too collect many dividends at high holding percentage but with short holding time risk?

SOR=shareholders on record. My strategy is to get paid dividends meeting expectations of ex-dividend, SOR, etc. however more often than four times. Low beta, high dividend payments. 9 to 11% yield. Stock one would not mind having anyways,

I got two steps now need to find the third.

17 minutes ago, odyd said:

SOR=shareholders on record. My strategy is to get paid dividends meeting expectations of ex-dividend, SOR, etc. however more often than four times. Low beta, high dividend payments. 9 to 11% yield. Stock one would not mind having anyways,

Which is the one you have selected ?

1 minute ago, saush11 said:

Which is the one you have selected ?

I will be updating that on the trading thread, this evening.

1 hour ago, odyd said:

But say that you buy a stock for $10 before ex dividend day and quarterly dividend is $0.25. Then you must expect to be able to sell the stock for more than $9.75 on ex dividend date or later for this dividend collection walk strategy to be profitable, right?

10 hours ago, explo said:

But say that you buy a stock for $10 before ex dividend day and quarterly dividend is $0.25. Then you must expect to be able to sell the stock for more than $9.75 on ex dividend date or later for this dividend collection walk strategy to be profitable, right?

Of course, it would be aimless to do it otherwise. This is why you trade equity which you do not mind to hold.

14 hours ago, odyd said:

Of course, it would be aimless to do it otherwise. This is why you trade equity which you do not mind to hold.

It would be interesting to see if it is possible to find more trading gains with that strategy (sell higher than buy price minus collected dividend net after tax) than just normal buy low/sell high (sell higher than buy price). If you track it, let us know if the price seems to adjust closely to dividend size on ex dividend day (maybe difficult to estimatebecause what move the stock would do on that day if not ex dividend day though) or if it somehow quickly regains PPS in expectation of next dividend a lot ahead of next ex dividend date.

I could imagine that it works to some extent, since tapping inefficient market PPS adjustment for dividend loss takes more patience and there are fewer opportunities than just pure trading to tap the market volatility, so the market's job of efficiently eliminating any possible arbitrage opportunities in the market places might not be that efficient here, especially for smaller names.

I myself have thought about at least adjusting my trading model to account for time left to ex dividend date. If yield is low the dividend is much lower than my trading spreads and it is not necessary, but in GLBL case where a quarterly dividend can be 10% of PPS it is around the same size as my trading spreads. 10% trading spread meaning if I buy at $3.00 I sell at $3.30, which in GLBL case might cause me to sell at $3.30 on day before ex dividend date, miss a $0.30 dividend and then buy back at $3.00 on ex dividend date for a zero sum round trip (only the broker gains), which was what happen on the recent GLBL dividend. I was lucky though that I sold at $3.98 and it did not just drop to $3.70, but to $3.40 the next day, since it on the ex dividend day had another 10% market sentiment drop besides the 10% dividend value loss.

I think that lower volatility could stop potential dividend gains as in initial reaction would be to readjust equity for the dividend payment. I suppose all would be in the entry price and market conditions prior to the purchase but said that, short time to jump from place to place could eliminate or make strategy not as attractive if those adjustments happen.

We will see. Currently, solar is so bloody that I am hoping not to suffer in the same fashion and to take as a sign of relief.

CEQP... Can not believe my impatience (just like with GLBL/TERP)...its up 50% today while reducing dividend over 55% (still nice dividend yield). 2016 is turning into an other leap year fiasco, but unlike 2008 and 2012 where a lost huge (realized, not on paper), 2016 I did not make much, (but sleep very well at night, knock on wood, unlike 2012) but still am up now with significant cash position still waiting for August 24 2015 repeat.

Is anyone interested in Apple stock?

The share price has come down to pre-split level there is about $37 per share between 52 weeks high and today (or AH yesterday).

If anyone has an available change and think of the growth, look toward oily ECA. Beaten to a bone, as oil goes up, I think that stock is a buy, It is a powerful company, one of the largest in Canada. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, odyd said:

If anyone has an available change and think of the growth, look toward oily ECA. Beaten to a bone, as oil goes up, I think that stock is a buy, It is a powerful company, one of the largest in Canada. 

Thanks Odyd,  worth keeping and eye on

It might be a bit late now, but at the time I first mentioned CEQP, it went from under $9 in Feb. to over $21 now (yes all with oil), while paying still healthy dividend (even after reduction of over a half).