Sign in to follow this  
dydo

Beyond Solar

I have also started buying REITs this year. I have gone through some of those without particular reasoning, but high yield. I had ARI, STWD and received dividends this week. I had also OHI and VTR. Currently, I am holding SBRA.

Share your ideas, here. I guess the challenge is not only to get good income but also a growth or value story. Having healthcare REITs beat to pulp I hope for it with SBRA

I am looking to discover the best way to cover renewables via ETF, I am aware of following:

KGRN, ICLN, GEX, QCLN, PBW, TAN.  If anyone is seeking others please add.

Here is a nice article on REITs vs interest rate volatiltiy. Page 2 has a nice chart correlating the two. This might explain some of the recent slide in Realestate REITs as interest rates are being increased by the FED.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2017/07/10/reits-have-complicated-relationship-status-with-interest-rates/2/#3258ea9750e0

• Thanks 1

Hi SCS,

To the contrary, this is the most interesting time to be buying REITs and specifically healthcare and for example, the data center ones. My reasons include weakness of the holders of REITs to adapt to the changing environment of the market. REITs stability is gone, holders are very jittery to sell.

Healthcare has government pays and weak tenants; this is I picked the middle of the road, looking for private pay locations, tenants company.  

Of course, you have IR, the killer of bonds, yieldcos, and REITs. SBRA yield is over 9%, and so is OHI, no amount of T-Bills can pay you that, and there is no equity/principal growth in leverage/fixed incomes. In REITs it is. 

There are risks, brick, and store mortar locations, careful with e-commerce economy and overweight US population. Commercial space, warehousing is the logical offset, and I would know. However one must remember that not necessary new companies come up with e-commerce and old ones would utilize current locations for their e-commerce effort. Nevertheless, warehouse places like GPT, STAG or ILPT could be good to own for years.

Residential apartments, not big on it, nor mortgage RETIs seem to have limited equity growth.

For healthcare, I would avoid CHN and VTR; they have a higher valuation. For those who can stand the risk, I prefer SBRA over OHI, due to GOV program pay being closer 100% for OHI and about 64% for SBRA. SBRA is more so evolving and did not take full value of the changes to its results yet. However I am not going to lie, it is dropping daily at this time. Then you got DOC, HTA, MPW, HCP.

For those interested in renewable ETFs, attached has holdings for each

Renewable ETF com.xlsx

ICLN is a preference of the choice and has yield due to yieldcos.  It appears most globally diversified as well including Chinese names. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, dydo said:

Hi SCS,

To the contrary, this is the most interesting time to be buying REITs and specifically healthcare and for example, the data center ones. My reasons include weakness of the holders of rates to adapt to changing the environment of the market. REITs stability is gone, holders are very jittery to sell.

Healthcare has government pays and weak tenants; this is I picked the middle of the road, looking for private pay locations, tenants company.  

Of course, you have IR, the killer of bonds, yieldcos, and REITs. SBRA yield is over 9%, and so is OHI, no amount of T-Bills can pay you that, and there is no equity/principal growth in leverage/fixed incomes. In REITs it is. 

There are risk, brick, and store mortar locations, careful with e-commerce economy and overwait US population. Commercial space, warehousing is the logical offset, and I would know. However one must remember that not necessary new companies come up with e-commerce and old ones would utilize current locations for their e-commerce effort. Nevertheless, warehouse places like GPT, STAG or ILPT could be good to own for years.

Residential apartments, not big on it, nor mortgage RETIs seem to have limited equity growth.

For healthcare, I would avoid CHN and VTR; they have a higher valuation. For those who can stand the risk, I prefer SBRA over OHI, due to give pay being closer 100% for OHI and about 64% for SBRA. SBRA is more so evolving and did not take full value of the changes to its results yet. However I am not going to lie, it is dropping daily at this time. Then you got DOC, HTA, MPW, HCP.

I owned MPW  before the market crash in 2008. I bought it for the dividend and potential growth. The stock has proven to not be a growth stock as many REITS have been, rather it is fairly stable dividend income. If you look at the chart since 2005 it is relatively unchanged over that span outside of the drop with the overall markets in 2009.  What the charts suggest is that it is a dividend investing stock with little share appreciation but risk to track the greater markets in pull backs. 

VTR and SBRA are clearly more volatile stocks with larger swings up and down. CHN appears to have never fully recovered from the crash and was in a steady decline. That decline looks to have been broken as of 1.5 years ago and the charts have separated from the others as it has maintained an uptrend the past 1.5 years.

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/MPW/chart?p=MPW#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%3D%3D

one way to go with REITs is to get into ETF. VNQ or something like SCHH. In this case I am opting for high yield/risk combo with equity appreciation. I agree in most circumstances those are flatliners which need collapse first to become growing equity opportunities. SBRA is this vessel for me. I look at VTR and see significant earnings reduction. SBRA is coming up with it. 

I like UNIT--an unusual telco REIT--it has been much talked about on SeekingAlpha.  

Some view it as very risky, I view it as beaten down and sporting an impressive 14% yield as I wait for it to recover to the mid twenties.

Obviously it has some fleas (including high and growing short interest) or else it would not have such a high yield--but I am a swing for the fences type of investor. 

Edited by disdaniel

14 minutes ago, disdaniel said:

I like UNIT--an unusual telco REIT--it has been much talked about on SeekingAlpha.  

Some view it as very risky, I view it as beaten down and sporting an impressive 14% yield as I wait for it to recover to the mid twenties.

Obviously it has some fleas (including high and growing short interest) or else it would not have such a high yield--but I am a swing for the fences type of investor. 

I was intrigued by it until I saw predatory bond fund going after the only tenant forcing a default condition on bonds and raising talk of bankruptcy. I am on the sidelines at this point due to those conditions.

On ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎20 at 4:28 AM, dydo said:

I am holding SBRA

For long-term performance PSA that SCSolar recommended is worth a look. It's return, volatility and correlation properties gave it high allocation in my long-term performance focused portfolio. For the short-term focus it seems to have gotten a nice discount the past 2 years.

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/SBRA/chart?p=SBRA#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

bought ICLN hoping for a mild treatment for tariffs and encouraged by JKS news. 

KARS is also getting volume today. I am really hopeful with this one. 

A final diversification step ahead, BLOK or BLCN. I am more into BLOK. This is not pure blockchain ETF, but something which can grow to be.

I think I would be able to cover all areas of growth and keep one dividend producing REIT for 2018.

I sold ILCN this morning at 9.67. Seems lifeless after two days; bought BLOK also reducing SBRA. 

7 hours ago, dydo said:

A final diversification step ahead, BLOK or BLCN. I am more into BLOK. This is not pure blockchain ETF, but something which can grow to be.

I think I would be able to cover all areas of growth and keep one dividend producing REIT for 2018.

Picked up some blcn this morning. That rounds out my growth/emerging markets plays with appx 7% invested

ETF

botz - robotics/AI

mjx = marijuana/medicine

blcn - block chain entry

Stock

mlnlf = Lithium mining

Check out this ETF (they invest in Bitcoin too when it's profitable):  https://ark-funds.com/arkk

Dydo, I don't post often because every time I login I need to reset my password, but thanks again for hosting this.  My only renewable holdings now are SEDG and BEP.  Gold miners began a bull run after the December Fed meeting and half my portfolio are in about a dozen of them recommended by SomaBull on SA.  Also own AMD and XIN - a GEO pick (see SA article).

4 hours ago, SCSolar said:

Picked up some blcn this morning. That rounds out my growth/emerging markets plays with appx 7% invested

ETF

botz - robotics/AI

mjx = marijuana/medicine

blcn - block chain entry

Stock

mlnlf = Lithium mining

Very good set up, and like to see your breakdowns.

My profile shows %, but only exposure to one stock SBRA, which has picked the pieces up today.  BLCN was a bit more expensive for me, but BLOK charges more as it is actively traded, not yearly or quarterly, so it is more than just index follower. I sold KARS as it is too thinly traded at this time.