Sign in to follow this  
dydo

Beyond Solar

It did? Are you sure?

How about beat earnings, barely, yet by reporting 5500 units shipped demonstrated it is not yet a $25 billion company. I know a lot of people here are on the Tesla bandwagon but is anyone willing to contemplate the possibility the stock PRICE got ahead of itself?

Guest singular

Sure, TSLA valuation is high and many believe that a haircut was in order. But that has been the case since it crossed 100 - and yet every dip has been bought. i am confident the same will happen here. It will go higher. Today might be a bad day, but I guarantee that it will be higher next week than it will be at open today.

Guest iwcwatch

I am letting my options ride even though I could have cashed out with 100% - 200% gains today at market open (I sold 1 out of about 30). I don't mind the gamble, because I like to put my money where my mouth is.

sleepyhead, would you headcut?

Guest sleepyhead

I took a complete loss on the options I held. But that is ok, I was actually able to take profits 100%-200% on a few yesterday, since I bought them really cheap on Monday and Tuesday. I still held the vast majority so I lost some money but nothing major.

I did have a lot of paper profits going into earnings that got wiped out today. Oh, well.

TSLA is still a great long term play. Nothing changed fundamentally, investors were expecting a lot higher growth rates, but those will come once supplier constraints are solved. It will only take a few short months to get this done, but because TSLA did not give 2014 guidance the stock tanked. Because Q4 guidance for EPS was below consensus. Even though Revenue was a huge beat.

Tesla will be the worlds biggest car company i 10 years. I am 100% sure of that. Test the car and read their vision.

Why? Won't VW etc. grab the EV market-share once the product is ready for mass market? How will Tesla stay competitive and what market will they target (you say they'll be biggest, which suggests mainstream, which suggests high car making competence requirement to handle the fierce competition)?

How are things going for the Buffet EV bet - the Chinese EV company BYD? Would Tesla beat BYD in China?

Car manufacturing have more history than solar panel manufacturing and therefore new companies might have a bigger battle to fight in this industry..?

Guest Bodhi

Sure, TSLA valuation is high and many believe that a haircut was in order. But that has been the case since it crossed 100 - and yet every dip has been bought. i am confident the same will happen here. It will go higher. Today might be a bad day, but I guarantee that it will be higher next week than it will be at open today.

Me begs to differ.  It's down $43 as i type from its high.  Really wish i would've taken out puts as i had a strong inkling this would happen.

Dydo, glad you decided to keep your hands in your pockets on this one : )

Guest pgo

Why? Won't VW etc. grab the EV market-share once the product is ready for mass market? How will Tesla stay competitive and what market will they target (you say they'll be biggest, which suggests mainstream, which suggests high car making competence requirement to handle the fierce competition)?

I will add some info here. I think Tesla has figured out how to make EVs cheaply and have a clear path towards 30K+ EV that is comparable to BMW 3 series or Audi A4. In this development from technology point of view, they are ahead of others at least by 3 years. They also have a very good leader who has vision not just for his own company but to be a catalyst on EV industry. 

With Model S, Tesla is showing how to build a good EV that is simply a better car than anything else at the same price range. EVs also bring huge price advantage for the duration of product and also is cheaper to build (considering 8% battery improvement yoy - and visiting 2017).

What Tesla doesn't have is: Establishment, Brand outside US, know-how to scale massively, supply chain, distribution, money to expand hugely. That's why they are hiring the best people in the industry to help achieve those. But they are no where done and just beginning. Coming from outside the auto industry helps them think different on a paper napkin that others can't even dream of doing. Obviously, this brings risks, but I think they have a team who can deliver on what they've promised. 

The fire issue will be resolved soon - may be by recalling and spending $100M after even safer pack. 

Now pricing this stock is beyond my ability. I've followed this company since 2009. If you think long term - 2-5 years down the road, Tesla is a clear winner IMO. 

Guest Bodhi

Up another 20% today.  Crazy

Up 50% since initial posting.  News of a potential investor buyout making the rounds.

Guest iwcwatch

I want to store some TSLA at around 100. Do you think it can be reached? DJ is already year high high and high again. There should be large force of adjustment?

In a general market sell off 100 is definately possible. Then I would consider it too. BTW I ordered my first one just yesterday online. Great car. Here in Europe they have a good start I think. Problem is still missing charging infrastructure. But they want to build it up large scale in 2014, once they have done it, there will be a monopoly for easy supercharging stations. I would assume VW, BMW etc. will miss the trend, just like Nokia and Microsoft in their industry. In these companies the whole operations are streamlined to fossil fuel, there is internal resistance to change to something completely new. What to do with these thousands petrol engineers? I can still remember when Porsche launched a new Diesel car, it was like a internal cultural fight and questions about identitiy came up etc. VW mocked these Tesla cars already as inferior, which I cannot not really see to be true. In fact, operational expenses is much lower as there is no heavy tax on electricity as there is for petrol. Also, they are exempted from road tax in most countries, can use bus lanes, parking priority etc. Range is similar and driving experience is better.

Guest sleepyhead

The lowest I see TSLA going (without any new news) is $109-$110, which coincides with the 200 day moving average. I have been a big buyer at $120. I will buy more at $110. I don't mind if it goes down, but I am not counting on it.

Guest solarman1

I bought my first few TSLA shares today at $121.00 which is 10 points above 200 DMA (at around $110 as Sleepy stated above).  Time will tell...

Guest sleepyhead

I was virtually 100% solar, and now in the past week I got to 75% solar and 25% TSLA. Every day that goes by TSLA is becoming a bigger value.

Guest JMK

1. TSLA is a "visionary" company.  I recently tested Ts car. It is amazing in every instance. I'm driving Acura RL (pretty decent car) but my car compared to Ts  is like earth and heaven.

2. TSLA stock is ahead of herself. A market cap is almost 40% of GM  - absurd. At the same time AMZN and NFLX are trading above any reasonable CURRENT estimates being priced with a 5-6 year horizon at least. It is a specific of the stock market though sometimes looks scary. We had something like that with GOOG ipo. It was "only" $90-100 stock with huge critics saying how overvalued it. Now 10 years after GOOG 10 fold higher and nobody says it is priced too rich. TSLA stock jumped up just before Musk published superloop project that will come inside TSLA stock.  

3. A simple calculations tells that if 30% of current fossil fuel vehicles are exchanged to EV you have to triple current electrical power capacity. A combination of PV solar power explosive development, huge progress in electrical storage (new nano lithium-ion technologies multiply current capacity and change a charging to time to minutes) will bring this industry to unbelivable prosperity. I do not know what can happen to TSLA company but EV is a future of transportation and TSLA prepared for this future better than any other company in the world. 

4. As a long term investor I have shares of TSLA bought in low $30s. As a swing trader I sold a portion of these shares in 170 range and bought put options that I sold recently. As soon as (if) TSLA stock hits 100 or lower I will rebuy all the position taken initially and probably will add more shares. TSLA is a life time investment that can make you rich within next 10-12 years like GOOG and AAPL did.  

Guest Norse

It's hyperloop and atm it has nothing to do with TSLA, and Im pretty sure it will stay that way.

Guest JMK

It's hyperloop and atm it has nothing to do with TSLA, and Im pretty sure it will stay that way.

Probably not i.e. you are right though you never know. Actually I did not say that superloop is a reason this stock is a high fly. As an EV company is more than enough to be prosperious. At the same time superloop based on both PV solar power and electrical engine. There is no a separate company that develops superloop. Until now it is a futuristic project that is under revision but it is a revolutionary idea and project i.e. sooner or later investors will finance a project.

Guest pgo

Probably not i.e. you are right though you never know. Actually I did not say that superloop is a reason this stock is a high fly. As an EV company is more than enough to be prosperious. At the same time superloop based on both PV solar power and electrical engine. There is no a separate company that develops superloop. Until now it is a futuristic project that is under revision but it is a revolutionary idea and project i.e. sooner or later investors will finance a project.

Call it Hyperloop not superloop. I agree with everything you've said. I'll add that Hyperloop looks much better than those Amazon droids.