dydo

Trading Strategy

1 minute ago, heliostat said:

Thanks Robert great tip, I am also in BOTZ and ROBO and EV metals .

ATB

Thanks, I am watching KGRN, have not moved into it, but US investors seem not to like HK exposure.

I like ICLN for the variety and the price. None of those have performed well in last 5 years or from inceptions. I would hold back on buying anything until a decision is made.  ICLN has most wind and in the manufacture of turbines which is pretty interesting to me.

Hi Robert,

I am wondering what your current view might be on PEGI post Trump's tariff ? I am having a general rethink about the renewable space vs EV metals etc. Do you think there are any near term catalysts? Worth continuing to hold? 

Separately I can now access KARS although chart not working looks like $25.20 is the stable offer at NAV.  Did you get discount to NAV , not sure how liquid it is?

Finally have you looked at direct HKG shares in China EV brands (obviously costs /complexities etc ) as my only niggle about KARS is what looks  like low relative holdings exposure to China where most of the main action is in the next few years I think (although EV rising everywhere) based on full holdings ?? What do you think?.

Really appreciate your thoughts on PEGI

7 minutes ago, heliostat said:

Hi Robert,

I am wondering what your current view might be on PEGI post Trump's tariff ? I am having a general rethink about the renewable space vs EV metals etc. Do you think there are any near term catalysts? Worth continuing to hold? 

Separately I can now access KARS although chart not working looks like $25.20 is the stable offer at NAV.  Did you get discount to NAV , not sure how liquid it is?

Finally have you looked at direct HKG shares in China EV brands (obviously costs /complexities etc ) as my only niggle about KARS is what looks  like low relative holdings exposure to China where most of the main action is in the next few years I think (although EV rising everywhere) based on full holdings ?? What do you think?.

Really appreciate your thoughts on PEGI

At first-view, anything wind should be seen to benefit, however, laws about claiming interest expense up to 30% of EBITA, is a concern to me and I am out from yieldcos for this reason.

Moving to KARS I sold KARS to put more money into MJX. It appears, for now, MJX is running on a high tide and KARS is building following. You should check the website rather than rely on a third-party service for data. I am not concerned about premiums to NAV etc at this stage anyway it does not mean a lot. I find mixed global exposure as a benefit here. If you look into their funds you will find that pure China plays most recent ones do not attract a lot of attention and liquidity is a key for me.  If you have questions on ETF I would ask to bring it to ETF thread. I am also equipped to buy direct Chinese stocks and do not like to trade OTC. Check their KBA ETF, looks really interesting as well. 

Thanks

As far as lithium goes, I am more inclined to buy ALB below $100, rather than LIT.

SC, Explo, how do you balance your portfolios?

Do you try equally weight your holdings and distribute profit to equal weight or you open new positions with it?

Do you use set exposure profile based on equity, fixed income, geography etc?

I think equal weight is probably good to start in my case and equalize or to expand. When I speak of equal weight I am referring to value.

3 hours ago, dydo said:

Do you try equally weight your holdings and distribute profit to equal weight or you open new positions with it?

I think equal weight is probably good to start in my case and equalize or to expand. When I speak of equal weight I am referring to value.

I use fixed target weights. I rebalance to target weight when off by more than a certain short-term volatility tolerance (to avoid excessive transaction costs). 

The weights are based on the expected contribution to the portfolios total risk-adjusted return. I use a 1.5% weight unit and cap single stock weights at 4.5%.

Edited by explo

5 hours ago, dydo said:

After looking and summarizing, I guess I use a diversified balanced approach that is risk averse in dividend investing stocks. That makes sense as I retired and want steady predictable income.

I actively invest in  approximately 8-10 market segments.

I have 4 core market segments equally weighted with stocks that  generally pay 3%+ dividend. that makes up 57-60% of my investments.  These I would classify as

Tech: being hardware and software.

Healthcare: related which would consist of medical suppliers, pharmaceuticals, Insurance etc.

Energy Sector:   Oil, gas, pipelines, chemicals and Power utilities.  

Communications: Telco, TV,  Internet

CPG: (consumer package goods) is between 8-10%. I recently backed that segment down from 15-20% as it has been basically flat outside of dividends for 3 years.

Solar and solar related stocks are 0-5% and these are trading stocks.

Financials/banking segment with 5%, this is a new entry and had been avoided as most are not reasonable dividends

Other marketable securities 14% - stocks and ETFs that do not fall into the above

I hold cash at any time 10-30%.

My IRA and Trusts that I have are not  included in what I mentioned above. These are close to 50% S&P 500 tracked mutual funds and 50% other types of investments outside of the general market.

Edited by SCSolar