dydo

Beyond Solar

Just a heads up for all the nerds out there.

Cloudera had an IPO.  They sell software & consulting based around their open source projects:  Hadoop and Spark.  

Hadoop & Spark are big data analysis packages.  I don't know enough about what commercial (non open source) offerings there are.  I know that Google Cloud & AWS offer some type of big data tools.  

Intel bought a bunch of stock based on a $40 stock price.  Now the stock trades for $17.40  

I bought some because technically it looks like a good entry.  But I need to read more about their service & competition & burn rate & ability to grow revenue & profits.

Certainly big data software that parallelizes data access is very important.  Computers hit a speed limit sometime about 20 years ago.  Now it's all about parallel software & running software on thousands of worker cheap hardware nodes.

And that is what Hadoop & Spark does.

CLDR

There is a lot of software out there that requires a big mainframe to run and even then it hits limits.  Scientific & financial modeling, drug research, maybe even machine learning.

Anyone here following the UNIT/WIN drama (over on SA)?  UNIT's dividend is looking juicy above 16%, might take a flier if it hits 20% (figure that way I'll do okay even if div is cut 50%).

SQ just keeps on making Record highs. Still have all my money parked in this one and now has eclipsed my 2013 solar gains of which I gave a chunk back. There is currently 23 Million shorts underwater by a large amount so she could run for awhile. Parabolic growth along with rising margins. Check it out!

What do people think of GE at 21?  

They sell wind turbines, hydro electric generators, combined cycle gas turbines... all manner of electrical generation equipment.

I know nothing about GE though -- my cousin told me they make most of their money from LED lighting.. which is certainly a CN commodity item now.

On 10/27/2017 at 10:12 AM, sunnypease said:

What do people think of GE at 21?  

They sell wind turbines, hydro electric generators, combined cycle gas turbines... all manner of electrical generation equipment.

I know nothing about GE though -- my cousin told me they make most of their money from LED lighting.. which is certainly a CN commodity item now.

GE is at 25 PE, if CSIQ got to this level it would be at $44. I know on technological front solar companies are going to be moving forward pretty quick.  If this commodity nonsense talk from analysts ceased industry would be rated with 20 to 40PEs, as it should. I hope one of those spikes like that on Friday may move the whole game up. I would not invest in GE, 

CGNX will split 1 to 2 on December 4th, 2017. I recommend getting that stock at that point. At 124 per share is a bit pricey but after a split, it is much more accessible. Companies like that tend to double quick too.  I had few shares at 86, too

7 minutes ago, dydo said:

CGNX will split 1 to 2 on December 4th, 2017. I recommend getting that stock at that point. At 124 per share is a bit pricey but after a split, it is much more accessible. Companies like that tend to double quick too.  I had few shares at 86, too

Isn't machine vision getting redone now with neural networks?  From what I understand neural networks are being used for many things that specific code had to be written for.

Also you have cloud APIs that provide machine vision applications.  Google Vision API, FB has one MSFT too. Probably Baidu too.

What I'm saying I guess is Machine vision is becoming commoditized.  You yourself may be able to replace some of what CGNX sells by stringing together some APIs with python.

I see that CGNX's offerings are more for industrial uses.  An application like that may not be a great use case for Google's current offerings.  So I may be totally wrong.  Just wanted to raise the point that there are many suppliers for machine learning & it is quickly becoming a cheap thing to do.

Edited by sunnypease

3 minutes ago, sunnypease said:

Isn't machine vision getting redone now with neural networks?  From what I understand neural networks are being used for many things that specific code had to be written for.

Also you have cloud APIs that provide machine vision applications.  Google Vision API, FB has one MSFT too. Probably Baidu too.

What I'm saying I guess is Machine vision is becoming commoditized.  You yourself may be able to replace some of what CGNX sells by stringing together some APIs with python.

Oh ok, what is the public company which does what CGNX does and gets 75% GM and 42% Net income?  I like to buy it. I am aware of Motorola, Zebra, and Honeywell for barcode readers which is actually peanut reading technology having work done in the real world. CGNX is the cheapest and most capable of growing up to 100% revenues in next couple of years. Right now they are growing at 45% per year.

This is not a new company, but something started making sense this year more than ever.  The market is about 20B and CGNX has 10% of it, they are aiming for 20%. In CSIQ terms they have 7% market share and FSLR has 2%. Do your own dd.

CGNX hit over 136, I see it go up until split and the go up even more. Do your own DD

I want to pick up on standard 4 and Made in China 2025 what is basically robotics in manufacture. CGNX is a robot vision or machine vision and China is a huge part of its customer lineup. Everyone in China today who wants to be someone tomorrow will drive the robotics market. Article on China 4.0 and Made in China 2025

https://www.engineering.com/AdvancedManufacturing/ArticleID/15555/What-Does-Industry-40-Look-Like-in-China.aspx

look at the CGNX presentation, stock splits on 4th of December. 75% gross margins and 39% net margin. Yes, it is 11 PB, but things like that get noticed. The business is still small $1B in sales but they grow at 24 to 21% rate a year. They have acquired 6 companies last year all in the technology, software exciting. Do your own DD, I have a small investment in it. I would love a discussion on this.

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/CGNX/5347013498x0x860004/DB9935E9-6560-4469-886C-82047ADD3842/Cognex_Overview_-_Q3_15.pdf