odyd

Solar News

19,381 posts in this topic

I am hoping for the publication this week. It is an article about module shipments for the US-listed Chinese in Q3. Editing back and forth is the hold up.

Will be very interesting. How long have you done these shipment measurements? Enough to have gotten an accuracy estimate when used to project actual shipments? I assume you measure volume passing thru certain export channels or other publically available data.

Data has tracked shipments for 3 months, do not want to spoil it, it is a good article and went through hands of both editors, SPVIs and PV-Ms. It is data collected from my partners at Solarzoom. I hope we can see it today.

Looks like Sharp is seriously considering exiting manufacturing business. Panasonic has also stopped investment in Malaysia, and now it is considering to restructure. All three, adding Kyocera, want to focus on Japan's market and stay away from Europe. This will give ground to Chinese ROW but in Japan, it will probably block them off.

Very nice article, thanks. It affirms the SOL momentum on market-share that management hinted and guided for. It also affirms the loss of market-share that YGE has guided for. A bit surprised that Jinko is so much behind Hanwha on exports. JA was also a bit dissapointing.

Isn't the current capacity of Canadian Solar's Ontario (Guelph) facility 300 MW instead of 200 MW indicated in article? That would bring quarterly Ontario production to 75 MW assuming whole capacity there is sold out.

German Solar Installations Continue to Increase The German government has decided to implement significant cuts in solar feed-in tariffs, but the nation’s solar market kept up unimpeded growth in September as Europe’s largest economy appears set to hit a new record for installations this year. For the month of September, around 1GW of solar capacity was installed. Between January and September this year, a total of 6.2 GW has been installed. Berlin’s vision is for 2.5-3.5 GW each year, but installations have been out-pacing that annually. In 2010, capacity increased by 7.4 GW, and in 2011 it was 7.5 GW, Reuters reports. Due to the unprecedented growth of solar in Germany, the government decided to slash the feed-in tariffs, which are guaranteed to be paid for a 20-year period to solar power generators. This, of course, has been the backbone of emergent renewables markets in many nation (eg., Japan’s aggressive FITs for the renewable sector). FITs for the German solar market—specifically the new solar installations—will drop by 2.5 percent per month between November this year and the end of January next year. The tariff reduction will cause the solar equipment industry to reduce prices and the government to stave off rises in energy bills for both corporations and individuals. Germany has seen an explosion of renewables growth since the Merkel-led government swore off nuclear power completely after Japan’s nuclear disaster. Major companies like First Solar (NASDAQ: FSLR), Suntech (NYSE: STP), and Renewable Energy Corp. (STO: RECO) have all been involved in the nation's projects. But a side-effect of the frenetic pace of expansion into renewables has been the higher-than-expected cost to households, as they bear the brunt of subsidizing the emergent industry. It hasn’t helped that the Merkel government exempted heavy industries from green energy and network usage tariffs. Media / Interview Requests? Click Here. http://www.energyandcapital.com/articles/german-solar-installations-continue-to-increase/2755

We were conservative on both capacity and the volume produced as a result. I knew of 200MW being a checked number, not sure about the 300MW.

This is the link to our article on PV-Magazine. http://www.pv-magazine.com/news/details/beitrag/domestic-module-shipments-hoped-to-lift-q3-results-for-the-chinese-solar-industry----_100009128/#axzz2BhUVw4FO They are not publishing the link back to us, so I do not think I will do this gain